Genre: Picture BookThemes: Friendship, forgiveness
Grade Level: 3-5
Curricular Connections: Religion and Social Studies (friendship)
Rosie and Micheal are friends. Alternating the narration of the story, Rosie and Michael take turns explaining why the other is his/her friend. Micheal explains that Rosie likes him "when I'm dopey and not just when I'm smart." Rosie explains that Michael likes her "when I'm grouchy and not just when I'm nice." Each of them understands what makes the other unique. Sometimes they call each other names like Gorilla Face or Banana Head and sometimes they play tricks on one another, but they are still friends. They keep each other's secrets, although Michael explains "if people said, 'Speak up, or we'll throw you in this quicksand,' Rosie would forgive me for telling her secret." They admit they'd do anything they could to save the other's life, but if they were unsuccessful, neither has any hard feelings. Each promises the other can have one of their prized possessions.
That's the way friends are.
Classroom Suggestions:
1. Read the book once for enjoyment. Then read it again, pausing after each section to discuss what it is about the actions that make them friendly.
2. Role play scenes. Many could be quite funny, including "If Micheal told me a secret and people clonked me and bopped me...and then if people bent my fingers and wrestled me to the ground, I still wouldn't tell what Michael's secret was. And then if people said, 'Speak up, or we'll feed you to these piranhas,' Michael would forgive me for telling his secret."
3. Discuss forgiveness. Why do we forgive? Is it earned? Does the person deserve it? What about Rosie and Michael? Should a friend expect the other to go to the piranha tank with the secret or not?
No comments:
Post a Comment