Sunday, February 17, 2008

I Stink! by Kate & Jim McMullan

Genre: Picture Book, Fanciful Fiction
Themes: Helping Others, Service, Alphabet
Grade Level: K-2
Curriculum Connections: English (Alphabet), Religion (Service, Using your talents)

I Stink! follows a New York City garbage truck through his overnight route. Readers see the great joy he takes in eating all the garbage and see what would happened if he (and all his buddies) decided to not do their job. An alphabet of trash is given, including D is for dirty diapers and H is for half eaten hot dogs.

Classroom Suggestions:

1. Teachers could use I Stink! in Religion class to show how everyone has unique talents. Lessons about appreciating the service of others in our lives can also be done, including the people who help us and the acts that we don't see.

2. Teachers can also model an activity after the alphabet section of the book. Students could create their own alphabet book of service or get good and gross and make their own alphabet of trash.

3. Older students could practice Internet research and compare the I Stink! truck to actual trucks in New York City Sanitation Department. Students could also research questions they may have like after the barge is loaded with garbage, where is all the trash taken?

No comments: